Saturday, October 07, 2006

A writer......Why

I did not want to be disturbed, and wasn't. I knew what I had to do. No matter where we go- an office, a classroom- we have to put the time in. No matter who pays whom, If we quit, we starve. If we don't show up, we're fired.
That's working for somebody else. Writers ususally work for themselves. I am convinced that one of the chief reasons I aspire to be one is that I can't stand working for somebody else. I just can't. It's one of the main reason that anyone becomes a writer: self-motivation.
Like just about every other writer, I have been searching for the right work-schedule. Few hours stretches at night, 1-hour bursts. On trains, classes, coffee-shops, on the floor. The one constant in my schedule is that I work everyday.
I used to badger myself about getting a certain amount completed every day-the minimum-and then ridicule myself for not having done it. I'd count what I hadn't done and punish myself for not living up to it. This practice does absolutely nothing except haul more guilt into the warehouse.
I'm kinder to myself these days. "What's the big rush?" I say to myself. As long as I show up for at least a couple of hours every day. The work will get done. the work has become better. I'm not rushing or anguishing about how much I'll complete in the next week, month or year. Instead, I concentrate on the day's work and when it's done, I reward myself with a chocolate. :)

Do yourself a favour and pick the time ofday when you work the best, or when you can find time. If you have 20 minutes, take them. If before your regular job you can find a half hour, take it. On the contrary, if you keep telling yourself that you need bigger blocks of time, or that you have too many other obligations or you're too tired, you'll have no pages but a lot of excuses.
You've the willingness, you'll make time.

6 comments:

starry said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog and please do come again.You are right we have to do the best we can and when we can. Making excuses will only be a hinderence to progress. I think even a few minutes a day will be better than having a whole day and not doing anything.

delhidreams said...

it is only recently that i've realised that being a travelling writer is all i want... but only recently, and how much time advertising will give me to pursue my dream is as debatable as dear mushy's credentials...

u've a nice blog here :)

All Is Whole said...

Agree....
and all the best.....

Excuse is the easiest way to escape from reality....

Bhavesh said...

Great blog :-)
I got to agree with you.. It always is about MIND OVER MATTER..!!

delhidreams said...

thanks sweta, for being on delhidreams :)

delhidreams said...

how r ur festivals going?